How Often Do You Wash 4C Hair?
Caring for curly hair is challenging, and even figuring out something as ordinary as how often to wash your curly hair is difficult. If you wash your hair too often, it may become dull and flat, especially if you use harsh shampoos and conditioners. On the other hand, going too long between washes can cause odors to build up or make your hair flaky. You want to find that Goldilocks zone for washing your hair: Not too often, but often enough to keep your hair looking beautiful.
So, how often should you wash 4C hair? Most hair care professionals recommend washing 4C hair once or twice a month, with at least five days between washes. Washing more frequently can severely damage 4C hair because it’s particularly dry and brittle compared to other hair types.
The Houston hair care team at Therapy Hair Studio understands the special challenges of caring for curly hair generally, and 4C hair in particular. Our highly trained technicians can help you create a hair care routine that will make your curls shine. Keep reading for more information on washing 4C hair, or you can call us or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment with one of our expert stylists.
What Does ‘4C Hair’ Mean?
Hair comes in many styles, textures, and colors, and different hair types require different routines and products to maintain. The term “4C Hair” comes from a hair type chart popularized by stylist Andre Walker, who is best known for working with Oprah. While the chart itself is not without controversy, as some people argue its definitions are too narrow, it’s a helpful starting point for developing an effective hair care routine. 4C Hair refers to hair with tight coils instead of curls, and the coils sometimes form “Z” patterns.
Challenges in Caring for 4C Hair
The tight curls of 4C hair can make for some unbelievably gorgeous styles, but they can also break easily. 4C hair also tends to be really dry, which can make it frizzy, matted, or tangled without proper care. Knowing how to care for 4C hair is essential to looking your best.
4C Hair Care Tips
While everyone’s hair is unique, our stylists have compiled some tips you can use if you have 4C hair. Remember that these are general tips, and our stylists are happy to meet with you or recommend products to help with your hair care routine. Keep these tips in mind when caring for 4C hair:
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate: 4C hair loves moisture! Use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner as part of your routine to keep your hair happy. Drink plenty of water, too, because hydration starts from within.
- Deep Conditioning: A deep conditioning treatment is like a spa day for your hair. Do this once a week to keep your curls soft and shiny. When applying a deep conditioner, cover your hair with a shower cap for added warmth and better absorption.
- Say No to Heat: Avoid styling tools like straighteners and curling irons, as the heat from these devices can damage your hair and lead to breakage.
- Protective Styles: Braids, twists, and updos protect your hair from damage and give it a break from daily styling. Plus, they look super cool!
- Use the Right Tools: Wide-toothed combs and soft brushes are your hair’s best friends. They help detangle your hair without breaking it.
- Night-Time Care: Protect your hair at night with a satin or silk scarf or pillowcase. This reduces friction and helps retain moisture.
- Be Gentle: 4C hair needs a gentle touch. Treat your hair like fine silk, and avoid pulling or tugging on it.
- Oil It Up: Oils like jojoba, argan, and coconut can add extra moisture and shine. But remember, a little oil in your hair goes a long way!
- Patience Is Key: 4C hair may take a little longer to grow because of its tight, coiled pattern. But with the right care and patience, your hair will thrive!
Remember, everyone’s hair is unique, so what works for someone else might not be the right choice for you. Our stylists know how to care for 4C hair and can help you establish a workable routine.
Therapy Hair Studio Is All About Curly Hair
We encourage anyone with 4C hair to embrace their natural curls and coils. Our stylists can recommend the right products and routine to give your hair a beautiful and distinctive look. Call us today or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.