Will Highlights Damage My Hair?
Many people agree that highlighting your hair is a fun way to change your look. The transformation is more subtle than a complete hair overhaul yet pronounced enough to make you stand out. However, some people worry about the potential harm the highlighting process can cause. Learning more about how highlighting works can help you make an informed hairstyling decision.
Highlights and Hair Damage
Many hair treatments can cause hair damage, and highlighting is no exception. As with most other coloring options, highlights can have some negative consequences for the health of your hair. The extent of the damage can depend on several things:
- How much of a change you make? The damage from subtle highlights may be minimal and barely noticeable. Heavy or platinum highlights will probably make the damage feel more obvious.
- How you care for your highlighted hair. It’s essential to nourish your highlighted hair to keep it healthy. See below for more tips on caring for highlighted hair.
- Where you get your hair highlighted. The salon where you get your hair highlighted makes a significant difference to the health of your hair. Our methods and products at Therapy Hair ensure that your highlights are done with the utmost care.
The reason highlighting harms your hair is that the lightening process strips your hair of pigment. A side effect of this process is that it can affect your hair’s natural oils and proteins, thus depleting the strands of what gives them a healthy texture and sheen. As a result, you might notice:
- Reduced moisture
- Reduced elasticity
- Altered curl pattern
- Dry, brittle hair
- Increased frizziness
While the above effects of highlighting your hair are possibilities, you can mitigate them in numerous ways. Let’s take a look at some things you can do to maintain your hair health.
Preventing Damage from Highlights
The fact that highlights can cause damage does not mean you should avoid them at all costs. It does, however, mean that you should be careful about how you highlight your hair and how you care for it afterward.
Going to a professional hair colorist is one of the most vital factors in protecting your hair from the potential harm of highlighting, particularly if you wish to avoid long-term damage. Our stylists are highly trained professionals who know how to treat your hair. Our salon uses thoughtful haircare products that help your hair avoid the worst of the damage.
You can also take your color treatment slowly. Many people are eager to achieve the final result they have in mind but rushing to the finish line can increase your potential for damage. If you are starting with darker hair, do not expect to arrive at the endpoint in just one session. Spreading it out over multiple sessions can prevent damage from an intense initial treatment.
Protecting Highlighted Hair at Home
Protecting your hair from damage does not end at the hair salon. You can adapt your routine to prevent your strands from coming to further harm. Tips to protect your highlighted hair include:
- Reduce the frequency of washing – Washing your hair daily can further deplete your scalp of the oils necessary to keep it healthy.
- Use a microfiber towel – Traditional towels can pull at your hair when you wrap them, causing additional breakage. A microfiber towel is gentler on your locks. It will also dry your hair more quickly.
- Cut down on heat styling – High heat can cause dry, brittle hair, exacerbating the effects of highlighting. If you choose to use heat in your styling, set the temperature to low on your blow dryer, flat iron, or curling iron. Doing so can prevent excess moisture loss.
- Buy a silk pillowcase – Compared to cotton, a silk pillowcase can help keep your hair much smoother and more manageable in the morning, with less breakage and frizz.
- Use recommended products – Our salon uses high-quality products and can recommend products for you to use at home.
Contact Therapy Hair Studio
The hairstyling professionals at Therapy Hair Studio have been committed to providing excellent services to our clients since 2008. If you are considering adding highlights to your hair, our stylists can help you achieve the look you desire while minimizing the extent of damage to your strands. Our Houston-based hair salon uses high-quality products and cutting-edge techniques to ensure that you are satisfied with the results.
Call us at (713) 355-4247 or contact us online for an appointment or to find out more about how we can help you.