How Often Should You Use Purple Shampoo as a Blonde?
Blonde hair is undoubtedly beautiful, but keeping it looking fresh and vibrant requires time, effort, and investment. Whether you’re a natural blonde or have color-treated hair, it’s crucial to maintain your hair’s cool undertones to avoid a faded or brassy look.
Luckily, purple shampoo is a lifesaver in this regard, particularly during the summer when the sun, chlorine, and saltwater can damage your hair. If you’ve never used purple shampoo before or have questions about how it works, this guide will tell you everything you need to know, including how often you should use it to keep your blonde hair looking beautiful.
What Is Purple Shampoo and How Does It Work?
Purple shampoo is a pigmented shampoo specifically designed for blondes that eliminates unwanted brassy or yellow undertones from the hair. When a stylist lightens your hair, the process brings up a raw blonde undertone, which the stylist further neutralizes with a toner. However, these undertones may reappear between color treatments, resulting in yellow or orange tones that you must fix at home. You can use purple shampoo to adjust your hair’s tone and neutralize any brassiness you see. Purple shampoos contain violet pigments that act as a color-correcting agent and counteract the yellow tones in the hair, leaving you with a cool, fresh blonde color.
Why Is Purple Shampoo Purple?
If you’re new to the world of blonde hair care, you might wonder why a product designed to counteract yellow tones is purple. The reason is simple: Purple is opposite to yellow on the color wheel. Therefore, the pigmented purple shampoo works by canceling out the yellow tones, leaving your hair looking cool and refreshed. Additionally, the purple shampoo brightens your hair’s color to a cooler tone, which is perfect for those with a slight yellow tinge in their hair.
How Often Should You Use Purple Shampoo?
While purple shampoo is excellent for maintaining cool tones in blonde hair, remember that it is not a replacement for your regular shampoo. Using purple shampoo every day can cause your hair to look darker and dull, which is not what you want. Instead, use purple shampoo once or twice a week, depending on your hair’s condition and how often you wash it.
Does Purple Shampoo Work for Natural Blondes?
If you’re a natural blonde, you might think that purple shampoo is not for you. However, natural blondes can also benefit from using purple shampoo to neutralize unwanted brassy undertones caused by hard water, sun, or heat styling tools. In addition, those who’ve tried the unicorn hair trend with purples and blues in their hair can also use purple shampoo to help keep their violet hues from fading.
How to Apply Purple Shampoo to Blonde Hair
Depending on your hair care routine, swap out your regular shampoo for a purple counterpart every few washes or once a week. Check out our step-by-step guide on how to use purple shampoo to make sure you’re getting all of its benefits:
- Apply the shampoo to wet hair – First things first. Apply a generous amount of shampoo to your wet hair, making sure you get the shampoo all the way down to the roots. You might need more shampoo than you typically use in the shower.
- Massage the shampoo at the roots into a lather – Work the shampoo into a lather until you achieve a soapy consistency with a purple color.
- Work the shampoo through the length of your hair – Once you’ve saturated your roots, massage the shampoo through the length of your hair.
- Let the shampoo sit – Keep the shampoo in your hair for two to five minutes, depending on how brassy your hair currently is and the color you want to achieve. A minute or two can make a huge difference in how your hair looks after you’ve finished, so keep a close eye on your hair. Set a timer so you don’t keep the shampoo in your hair for too long.
- Rinse – Use lukewarm water to rinse out your hair after you’ve achieved the color you want. You can follow up with a purple conditioner to add some moisture back into your hair so you look your best.
Therapy Hair Studio Has Everything You Need to Color and Maintain Your Hair
Whether you’re looking for that bleached-blonde summer look or want to explore a new style, the team at Therapy Hair Studio wants to help you look your best. Our award-winning stylists have everything you need to create your ideal hairstyle. Call us today or visit our contact page to schedule an appointment.